For 2017 Maker Expo is doing things a little differently. We want you to come to the expo and be inspired to go home and create, but we also want you to do some homework first. We want you to create an entry for our Pumpkin Carving Contest and bring it with you.
The contest will be a “people’s choice” with three different categories. Entries must arrive by 11am on Saturday October 28th and ballot voting will end at 3pm with the winner announced at 4pm. There are three prizes per category for a total of nine chances to win. First prize is $50, second is $30 and third is $20.
The categories are:
- 100% Organic – Involves only plant based materials. No paints, no electronics, nothing that didn’t grow in a field. Should probably also involve a pumpkin in some way. Questionable entries will be moved to category #2.
- Anything Goes – Paint, 3D printed parts, electronics, robots, motion sensors etc. The only rule here is that you need to have created and designed the majority of the sculpture yourself.
- Carved on Site – We will have a carving station setup from 10am to 3pm. These entries can only use materials from the pumpkin carving station and other workshops hosted on Maker Expo day.
“Pumpkins” for categories 1 and 2 should arrive between 9:30 and 11am on Saturday October 28th. The registration table will be in the back right corner of City Hall behind the rotunda near the room we’ve traditionally used as “the dark room”.
People’s choice voting begins at 11am, so if you’re late you’re losing out on possible votes. No entries will be accepted after 12 noon.
Prizes for winners can be picked up at approximately 4pm otherwise they will be mailed to your house following Maker Expo.
UPDATE! The first 50 entrants in the contest will get $10 in Downtown Dollars, courtesy the Downtown Kitchener BIA! Just for entering!
Additional Contest Rules:
- Name and age of the entrant will be obscured during voting and revealed at 3pm when voting closes.
- All entries must fit in a space that is 20 inches cubed (20x20x20) or smaller and be light enough to be placed on a folding table. This is to allow us to fit all the entries in the space allocated.
- Children are encouraged to participate either independently or with an adult. Adults are encouraged to participate even if the creation doesn’t involve kids.
- Winners will be announced on Social Media along with pictures of the winning entries. Names can be withheld upon request.
- This is an experimental exhibit, if you have feedback for how we run this contest that differs from the rest of the show, please be specific. We’re still learning.
- We reserve the right to exclude any entry that is deemed obscene or otherwise offensive to our core values of Inclusivity, Diversity, Community and Creativity.
- Volunteers for Maker Expo may enter (and win) if they abstain from voting or directing others in how to vote.
- All entrants must be legal residents of Canada.